CONFERENCE DAY ONE: Wednesday 12th October 2016
08:00 - 08:50 Coffee & Registration
08:50 - 12:00 Welcome Address
12:00 - 09:00 Regulatory updates: Dig deeper to understand the full implications and opportunitiesBeryl Keeley - E-cigarette Notification Scheme Lead, MHRA
09:00 - 09:40 Examining TPD regulations in the UK to understand what it means for the industry and the end user consumerBeryl Keeley - E-cigarette Notification Scheme Lead, MHRA
- MHRA on the TPD: Dissecting the regulations in detail to understand the benefits for the end consumer
- Manufacturing in compliance with the regulations: What are the new criteria?
- Applying for product license by 20th Nov: What will the MHRA need to see for this application to be successful?
- Looking at the overarching standards that manufacturers can work towards together
- What would be the top tips from the MHRA for the E-cig providers?
09:40 - 10:20 Assessing the Pros and Cons of the Tobacco Product Directive (TPD) regulations imposed on the E-cig industryBrett Horth - Managing Director, Vapouriz
John Richardson - , Vapouriz
- Examining marketing aspects in correlation with the regulations to evaluate the potential for getting creative about public messages
- Analysing regulations around the quality standards and how they can help to combat ‘black market’ products
- Understanding the process and looking at tips of how as a commercial company you can get approvals quicker
- Analysing strategies for getting the most from the positive aspects of the TPD regulations
- Surviving within the existing regulatory framework by being smart and strategizing your activity
Brett HorthManaging Director
10:20 - 11:00 FDA regulations: Pathways to market for e-cigarettes and e-liquidsMatt Taylor - Regulatory Consultant for the Pharmaceutical and E-cigarette Industry, Medic Pro Limited
- An overview of the deeming regulations to understand routes to expansion in the news market
- Premarket application: What does it look like and what is the process?
- Compliance Timeline: What are the critical deadlines?
Matt TaylorRegulatory Consultant for the Pharmaceutical and E-cigarette Industry
Medic Pro Limited
11:00 - 11:20 Morning Networking Refreshments
11:20 - 12:00 Creating a Masterfile of all the data needed to apply for licence: How realistic is the concept of standardisation?Stephen Buss - Director of Scientific Affairs, Vape Compliance
Ray Story - Founder & Chief Executive Officer, TVECA
- How far are we from this? What areas would we standardise?
- What can we do if we bring our strengths together?
- Harmonising standards between Europe and overseas to ease trade between different countries
- Creating a master file – is that possible? What are the plans?
- Creating a database of studies already done in the space, so people don’t need to do studies again
- Testing methodology and properties that are common and that can be used to apply for PMTA.What should these look like for everyone?
- Standards for toxicity – how to access toxicity?
Stephen BussDirector of Scientific Affairs
Ray StoryFounder & Chief Executive Officer
12:00 - 12:40 Round table session: Implications of Brexit of the eCig industry
- Understanding what impact the fallout from Brexit will have upon industry
- What can be better done to prepare in this uncertain environment?
- What are the anticipated long term implications?
12:40 - 12:00 Networking Lunch
12:00 - 14:00 Understanding buyer behaviour and customer experience behind your consumer choice:
14:00 - 14:40 How smokers become vapers, and how everyone can help more smokers to switchChristopher Russell - Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Drug Misuse Research
- Understanding and dissecting the customer journey behind the switch from smoking to e-vaping
- What should we be telling smokers?
- Looking at the best way for driving the switch and creating more vapers
Christopher RussellSenior Research Fellow
Centre for Drug Misuse Research
14:40 - 15:20 Stop Smoking Service on quitting smoking: Examining how this is being promoted and the relationship between e-vapour products and existing alternatives to cigarettesKaren House - Specialist Advisor for Smokefree Homes, Leicester City Stop Smoking Service
- Looking at how a Local Authority Stop Smoking Service made the journey to becoming ’E-cig friendly’
- Identifying a problem with falling client numbers
- Listening to vapers and breaking down barriers
- Adapting the service to embrace e-cigarettes and work constructively with retailers
- Using E-cigs alongside traditional licensed products
- Continually learning and adapting the service
Karen HouseSpecialist Advisor for Smokefree Homes
Leicester City Stop Smoking Service
15:20 - 16:00 Looking at the importance of creating advocacy and examining methods for how to do itJulie Woessner - Executive Director, CASAA
- Understanding the benefits for creating advocacy to help attract and retain customers
- Recognize the value of supporting efforts of consumer organizations
- Analysing tactics for creating opportunities to inform and engage your customers
Julie WoessnerExecutive Director
16:00 - 16:20 Afternoon Networking Refreshments
16:20 - 17:00 Creating the future for e-cigarette brands through employee and consumer engagementJohn Dunne - Managing Director, Nicopure Labs UK
- What are vape shops doing already that’s working?
- How can we improve the consumer experience?
- Who are the e-cig companies are not catering for?
- How to train your staff to give a better advice to attract new users to the category?
- How can you reach out to new customers?
- Can shops promote the benefits of vaping in current regulatory environment?
- How can you improve consumer’s confidence and influence them converting to vaping?
- Can this be effectively transferred to the mass market?
John DunneManaging Director
Nicopure Labs UK
17:00 - 12:00 Making the Best Use of Social Media: Understanding smart technology and tools that can help you promote your product more effectively
- How to use it to your advantage?
- What you are allowed to post and promote?
- How to educate the market about the product through social media and what are the limitations?
- Becoming more accessible for potential new consumers via online groups
- How to communicate better with the consumer?
12:00 - 17:40 Closing Remarks from the Chair for the End of Conference Day One
17:40 - 19:00 Marketing your product in the age of restrictions: Looking at successful campaigns to understand the world of potential outside of the regulatory landscape
- What marketing can we do?
- What’s the main challenge of reaching new customers?
- What’s allowed and what’s not?
- Learning from other industries that had similar bans imposed onto them